Of course it is of no use to direct our steps into the wood, if they do not carry us thither. I am alarmed when it happens that I have walked a mile into the woods bodily, without getting there in spirit…What business have I in the woods, if I am thinking of something out of the woods? ~ Thoreau [Walking]
Today was the first weekend of my ‘training’ for the big climb. I wanted to go on a longer loop but the weather didn’t cooperate. I’ve been on the top of Aaron’s Ledge in the middle of a thunderstorm and it’s not fun. I cut it down to 2 hours and 5.6 miles. It’s the normal “long loop” that Erin and I take. I had planned on taking a right and heading up to AL then around the rest of the mountain, down by Erin’s house and back home. I’m figuring it would have taken an extra hour. Maybe next weekend. I’ll have an extra day with the holiday!
I did learn a few things though:
- This is my first time with a pack and it was fine. It fits perfectly. However, I need to keep working on my shoulders–I found my neck was getting a little tired from the extra weight. Nothing major.
- I prefer my Nalgene bottles over my camelbacks with the sipper. And it’s hard to get the waterbottle out of the backpack…
- Need to take more pictures 🙂
- Need to work on stretching my back more…my lower back gets sore very quickly. Yoga…yes.
- I don’t like my socks 😦 I gave in and washed my favorite ones…they were still in the drier when I left. Wore a different pair and they aren’t as comfy. My toe hurt after a little while.
- BUG DOPE…never leave home without it!
- I really, really love it out there!! But sometimes I forget to look around me and enjoy the journey…
Tomorrow is kayaking…